Skip to main content

Make Your Own Body Butter Bars and Knitting

I promise I’ll get to back to knitting content soon! I have frogged my DummyClapShawl, I originally thought I wanted a larger, lose gauge, but decided since the finished product will have dropped stitches to create the lacy areas, they would be too large and prone to getting caught on everything.

065005

From this (above left) to this (above right), yes that’s better!

In addition I decided to use this yarn (I think) for a sweater (Zuma Tunic), Pattern from Custom Knits 2 (book review to come soon) by Wendy Bernard. I have Wendy’s first book, Custom Knits, if you have that one, I would say the 2nd book is a must! Very helpful she has extensive info on how to alter patterns, both for fit and to add and delete different components of the pattern.

In the meantime, I am in a constant search for products for dry skin, hair and nails. A relatively new development for me. I’ve always had oily skin so have been very oil phobic. It has been hard to see oil as a good and necessary thing.

I found the Body butter bars: a “lotion” in bar form that you rub on your body after a shower/bath, and then blot yourself dry. Heaven, best one is from Lush King of Skin. But I’ve heard you can make these yourself. I found some tutorials….let me know if anyone has made them, I’d love to know if it is worth the trouble or I should just go on buying them.

 

Some of my favorite products I’ve found along the way, (lots of them your ideas, Thanks to all of you!)

HAIR: After letting my hair color grow out, and being shocked at how white it was *gasp*. I was horrified and then disappointed that it wasn’t all white. It is still a mix in the very back. If you have gray/white hair, (or you do and you color it) conditioning it is the way to make those crazy, wiry, curly white hairs soft and manageable.

My favorite deep conditioners are: Ojon Damage Reverse Instant Restorative Hair Serum, this is my HG, I was intrigued with this product and finally bought it (didn’t want to pay the $$ for it, but it lasts for a long time, hair isn’t greasy, just soft and shiny, LOVE IT!!,  Argan Oil Deep Penetrating mask (I like this one from Sally’s Beauty), also Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Keratin Intensive Hair Treatment.

Daily conditioning: I like to add a smoothing product, I’ve tried everything from John Frieda Frizz Ease to Argan Oil, among other oils and smoothers. Trial and error here, I’d say buy the smallest bottle to try, and start with a small amount, you can always add more. Also if you have blonde or white hair, look at the color of the product, anything with a yellow caste can be deposited on your hair. Current favorite: One and Only Argan Oil Treatment, and also John Frieda Sheer Blonde Dream Creme Instant Silkener,(hard to find)

Protection from sun/surf: Only one I’ve tried but love, John Frieda Beach Blonde Life Preserver Hair Conditioning Oil, I got mine at Target.I’ve heard many people say they love the Orofluido Elixir is wonderful, it does have a yellowish cast to it, so I’ve not tried it.

Face: Currently I’m using St. Ives Moisturizing Olive Cleanser, also like DHC cleanser. I am still on a search for a good moisturizer with SPF in it. I’m using Skin 79 BB cream and love it. Also layer on some glycerin at night.

Lips: Can’t keep them from splitting and cracking. Tried every chap stick like product I’ve seen even Vaseline. Best so far is Carmex, and the old fashioned chap stick that smells funny. Still searching

SKIN: Ick, Wash with a gentle cleanser for body. I’ve tried numerous body washes, one of my favorites is CeraVe hydrating Cleanser.also good St. Ives Body Wash Creamy Coconut Triple Butters:

Lotions:  I’ve resorted to putting on the more expensive at night, and layering products. I always have a lotion, cream on first, topped off by an oil to seal it in. Often times using something thicker on top of this (at night) on my elbows/knees/hands. Favorite products: Savannah Bee Royal Jelly Body Butter, Cheaper daily moisture Curel Continuous Comfort Fragrance Free Moisture Lotion.

All around super helper for lips (not tasty and doesn’t stay on), knees, elbows, heels, and hands, great and available everywhere, I discovered or rediscovered Aquaphor, it comes in tubs, and tubes, I always have some in my purse, car, etc. Warning: this is uber greasy, but works.

For cracks on knuckles: This was introduced to me by my husband, a carpenter, who’s hands are thick with calluses and short a couple of finger tips. Krazy glue, yes it works great, I work at the hospital and can’t have open cuts on my hands. Krazy glue makes them stop hurting and allows them to heal fast, and they are not open to infection. My favorite kind has a brush in it, easier to control. Good for all kinds of boo boos.

krazy glue with brush.

Get your pointy sticks out!!NeverPokeMadPeople

Comments

  1. 100% shea butter. I got mine from L'Occitane. Use as lip balm, cuticle cream, heel moisturizer, all sorts of things. It's solid at room temperature and melts on and into your skin. It's the only thing that's ever helped with the miserable chapped skin around my nose when I have a cold. And my big tin has lasted for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I have one leg longer than the other, the foot and especially the big toe on the long leg have hard callouses. The one on the bottom of the toe splits and the skin on the rest of the toe shreds. Very painful. I've resorted to Super Glue, but it is a bit runny. I'll have to look for the Krazy Glue with a brush. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the L'Occitane tip. I'm off to buy some. Also good luck with the Krazy Glue, I love it. I keep a little bottle in my purse now.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment I love reading them and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t