Skip to main content

Chainsaws, aprons and sock knitting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Texas_Chain_Saw_Massacre

This movie made quite an impression on me, I still think of it when I hear chainsaws. The ice storm cleanup is still going on and we hear chainsaws most of the day. Happy memories...

The original movie The Texas Chain Saw Massacre came out in 1974, I was in high school and it scared the poo out of me. It has turned into a classic and even got remade in 2003, if you rent it get the original, oh heck get them both.

Getting back to normal. I stopped past the library and checked out some sock books. The ice storm we had brought with it days with no electricity. We came to appreciate our hand knitted sweaters, and socks.

The book that I favored is the one I almost didn't pick up. It is Teach Yourself Visually Sock Knitting by Laura Chau

The title turned me off and on the front it says "read less-learn more", OK I thought. For some reason this was a big turn off, but I checked it out anyway.

I was surprised when I started thumbing through this book. It is quite complete and includes many, many photos. And they are good, like actually taken by someone who knits.

This book covers all of the basics of socks, but the thing that sets it aside is all of the photos, and she give you the option of  three types of needles for your socks, traditional dp's, Magic Loop (one long needle), and two circulars.

You also have the option of top down, toe up or flat socks. A generic basic sock pattern is the beginning one, then she has included lace, cable, boot, baby, and thermal among the patterns.

I would actually buy this book, my initial doubt is erased and I will be checking out other Teach yourself visually books.

I must be turning into my mother, I have plans to sew a apron (seriously) and have all but given up TV. We started

listening to the radio for our news and have it on most of the day, even when not home the dogs listen to it, although they have a "no opera please" policy.

Maybe this is a side effect of the Dow. A wish for simple times again. Although I have no knitting to report, it is setting on my needles gathering dust. Thanks to everyone who wanted to know if we were ok in the ice storm, and for the many scissor ideas. The consensus was, "yes you need many scissors, store them, in jars and bags, on ribbon, in  crocks, and drawers, and the scissor troll visits everyone".

May your knitting needles fly as fast as dragonflies

Bookmark and Share

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t